Community and Articles | Ekunia Forums
Russia - Printable Version

+- Community and Articles | Ekunia Forums (http://ekunia.com)
+-- Forum: Community (http://ekunia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Politics & Debate (http://ekunia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=277)
+--- Thread: Russia (/showthread.php?tid=4556)

Russia - SYKO - 09-15-2014

What's so good about Russia?

RE: Russia - Nuke - 09-15-2014

Can you be a bit more specific?

RE: Russia - SYKO - 09-15-2014

You're always going on about how great Russia is. What's so good about it compared to other parts of the world?

RE: Russia - Nuke - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 01:44 PM)Nuke Wrote: Can you be a bit more specific?
Uh, I seriously don't know where to start, be more specific.

RE: Russia - SYKO - 09-16-2014

How is Russia better than the rest of the world in terms of Economy, Geography, Scientific Research, History, Society and Government?

RE: Russia - Nuke - 09-16-2014

Best country ever.
(09-16-2014, 07:20 AM)SYKO Wrote: How is Russia better than the rest of the world in terms of Economy, Geography, Scientific Research, History, Society and Government?
Economy is more globalized now, but Russia is actually quite well off in the current depression, although Cold War Two is getting rid of many investors.
Geography is biggest country.))
Scientific Research is Russia's feudal lordship.
Russian history is fun to read but it's all in Russian. My favorite part is when these guys got drunk and began successfully taking down foreign governments and just giving them to the Tsar.
Society and Government? You must have just copied this out of your book. I'll just go through "Government" since "Society" (aka culture) is something too vast to just use as a generic. Russian Government is glorious motherland government. All hail.)) Russian oligarchs influence the people and the regions who in turn control the government, making the system revolve around oligarchs supporting politicians. For instance, Gorbachev has one oligarch, but he'll never get back in power.

(Just so you know, when saying "Best country ever.", culture is pretty much the most important thing -- "economy"/"scientific research" and such vary over time, history is generally just an influence over culture and an interesting tale that never ends, and governments change too.)

When I made this post I was hoping for a serious response to explain your massive boner for Russia. Guess that's too good for you.

me Wrote:(Just so you know, when saying "Best country ever.", culture is pretty much the most important thing -- "economy"/"scientific research" and such vary over time, history is generally just an influence over culture and an interesting tale that never ends, and governments change too.)
Nationalism isn't really about any of the stuff you wanted.

What, specifically, interests you so much about Russia? You have this unexplained obsession with it. Explain why you're so obsessed with it. It can't be that hard.

I wouldn't know where to start. It's somewhere in culture. Started with the tax rates, actually. However, I grew to genuinely love the country as I continued to learn about it, and now I just want to get it over with and become Rossiyane (non-Russian, but Russian) already.

Basically, I don't think there's a single thing you can name in Russian culture (outside of the vodka, other stereotypes, and memes) that I'd really dislike. I just love everything about Russia.

For instance, the women will wait until marriage (or some good romance) for sex. For most people, that's like "why would you give a shit", but if you're waiting until marriage, you should usually want a woman (or man) that does the same. Also, Russians are very pessimistic, and coined a lot of the phrases about "trust" and such in English: Reagan got "Trust, but Verify" from an old Russian proverb, most famously.

They love to have precision and acronyms everywhere. I feel a lot more "at home" with Russia than America. I even have a weird (not American somehow) accent that kinda-sorta sounds Kiwi but kinda-sorta sounds Russian. My friends call it "the Troll Accent".

Perhaps a better explanation is: I was never really into mainstream culture as a child and developed my own culture in my head that turned out to be exactly like Russian culture.