Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Ekunia Review - PromotionBox
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM,
Ekunia Review - PromotionBox
[IMG] First Impressions: When I go to a board, the first thing I look for is a well-made logo that should be able to tell me right off the bat what the board is about and what kind of content I should be able to find. Your logo should be able to pop out to me and say exactly what your forum is and maybe contain a little slogan or something along those lines. So, to guest, your logo would leave them wondering what your forum is, and to a guest that isn't good. As I look down, all I see is grey, grey and more grey. The forum skin--in my opinion--is very outdated. I will go more into depth about this in the theme area of the review. The categories main titles are also very vague in the sense that they aren't really descriptive like they should, or be more inviting.
(16 Out of 25)

[IMG] Theme/Layout: This is where the scores are going to be pretty low on your review. I am going to break your forum into parts as I go down so you can also follow where I am going with this. Alright, starting at the Top. We will start with the logo. As I said in the first impression, I am not impressed with your logo. To me, the little shapes that are located on the main text look out of place and look like they aren't supposed to be there. The image of the bird coming off of the "E" looks out of place also. To me, it looks like the logo was made in Photoshop in a few seconds with no ideas drawn up already and it was slapped on there to make the board look finished. The navigation "bar" looks outdated also. Just having text makes the board look boring. Even if you added a hover-over effect with CSS, that would add the effect to make the board look put together. If you really want to make the board look nice, try adding little icons next to the names of the tabs to make it look even nicer! Now we are going to talk about the Forums of the board. The color grey still resonates throughout the entire board, which is very bland for me and makes me want to close out the tab. The "New post", "No New Post" and the "Locked" icons on the index look odd to me for some reason. To me, they are more of an eye sore than anything. To to find icons that look nice to the eye and fit into the theme like they were supposed to be there. The hover-over effects that are on the links make it hard to read the link name because they turn black and your background is grey. I understand that the link colors aren't that important, but it's the little things that make huge difference. Try to make the link color be the same color as your background(#81322b), as that would contrast the background from the link color. Going into the actual forums, I saw a few things that I didn't like. The biggest eye sore is the "Locked Thread" error message because the image that is supposed to be there is missing. The other eye sore is the icon reference at the bottom of the forum that tells the user what each icon means. I like the idea of having that, but the text is black! I could hardly even see the text and I actually had to get closer to my monitor to see it--that's bad. Jumping back to the thread area, the text for "Go to first unread post" looks really tacky next to the name of the actual thread. Try adding an image to that to remove the text. The Index looks really nice--forum wise--because of the number of forums you actually do have. You are a rather large forum and you still have three actual forums for members to post in, which keeps the post concentration rather high. Getting near the bottom of the board, I see the usual board statistics. However, you still carry the black links to the footer of the board, and the background is almost the same color. To me, that is the sign of a very incomplete board that was just thrown together.
(12 Out of 25)

[IMG] Forum Moderation: When I went to the forum staff page, I was very disheartened by the lack of board staff that you have hired to moderate the board. The only staff member is yourself as the administrator and then no other staff member. With 270 members, you should at least of around one or even two moderators just to be there to moderate the board, and post. Like I said, a board with as many post as yours does, you should have a staff that can always be on to do their jobs. Other than that, there is really nothing to say because your the only person.
(15 Out of 25)

[IMG] Activity and Statistics: I was also a little saddened to see this area too. You have been around for around 3 years and only have 270 members. To me, you should have a lot more members than 270. I don't know if that's because of the niche you are in--which I still don't what it is--or if you are just lacking dedication to this project. By looking at your member list, you really don't have a lot of dedicated members because there is a lot of accounts with 0 post, which is killing your member to post ratio. You have some members that have around 2-15 post, but no more. I don't know if these were packages done to increase your stats or if they were members that just left your forum for various reasons. One of the worst things that I see is that you are leading your highest poster by 14 thousand post! I can understand that the admin(s) should always have more posts because they are the ones that start the board off and they are the ones that post to start the board off, but the amount of post that you lead is just astonishing--in a bad way. Try sending out a newsletter to get back your members that seemed to dwindle way into the abyss that they fell into.
(14 Out of 25)
Overall Score= 57/100
What I liked about the site: To be honest, there was nothing about your forum that made me actually happy to look at or to keep me there. The forum looked like it was rushed to be made and had a bland feel to it.
What I didn't like about the site: The overall feel of the board. The forums look like they were just thrown together and started posting in. The colors seemed to bore me and nothing really stuck out except the odd colors of various regions of the board. The link colors weren't made so they were easy to see nor did they look nice.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
Add Thank You Reply
04-11-2012, 01:02 AM,
RE: Ekunia Review - PromotionBox
now if BH wasn't banned he would fix this
what's Quackin'?

[Image: L5WHs.png]
04-11-2012, 01:12 AM,
That's expired now.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
04-11-2012, 01:14 AM,
well if BH would fix this he would fix this
what's Quackin'?

04-11-2012, 01:24 AM,
This guy obviously has a shit monitor, because I can see all this crap just fine. I mean, some of his gripes on the theme are perfectly justified, but others are just kinda silly. I can see the black on the grey just fine. So he either needs glasses or a better screen/video card or something.
04-11-2012, 01:31 AM,
Maybe he was on a smartphone X)
04-11-2012, 01:47 AM,
you would think that someone that reviews stuff would have good materials to review stuff with
what's Quackin'?

04-11-2012, 01:49 AM,
I'll "Rate my review" and say "The members say you suck.".
04-14-2012, 09:41 PM,
I never asked for this.
I never asked for ANY of this.
04-14-2012, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2012, 09:58 PM by opticQuack.)
did i ask if you cared
what's Quackin'?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »