Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
A suggestion
05-22-2012, 02:52 PM,
A suggestion
You should feel proud Nuke, someone besides you is ACTUALLY POSTING in this section.
Anywho, I was thinking. A better way to announce progress and developments would be a news header. Maybe one that fades into different pieces of news.
Spoiler: EXAMPLE:
Hello, and welcome to Ekunia! blah blah blah, this site is cool, we make games and stuff, all that jazz. Enjoy!
[This fades out, and in it's place fades in this:]
Today's [or maybe this week's] News: Blah blah blah stiveland, yadda yadda GPU, something or other Operating system.
[this fades out as well, and in it's place comes whatever else, or the welcome message]
See what I mean? I feel that this would be a good way to introduce new users into the site and make them feel more welcome. It would also let current users who are interested in the products/projects know what their status(es) are. That's about it. What do you think?
Add Thank You Reply
05-22-2012, 04:20 PM,
RE: A suggestion
Are you suggesting that I ditch the current scheme where we have every product's development notes area separated?
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM,
I'm not saying you should, although you can if you want to. What you put in the header could just be a generalization, or a summary, of recent developments, while the dev notes are the whole shebang. Also, it would make it easier for users (especially new users) to find out what's new without going through the forum trying to figure out where the relevant topic is. If possible, you could probably also put links to the notes in the header.
05-22-2012, 04:26 PM,
Maybe I can just put a [MAJOR] tag on the major updates.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
05-22-2012, 04:31 PM,
A good idea for pointing out important updates, yes, but they would still have to go and look for it. Putting the news on the index page makes it much easier to find. Even I don't even know where the dev notes are. I'm sure I could find them if I tried, but that'd take some time. I only see them in the "Today's Posts" tab. And yes, while all users have access to the Today's Posts, new users might not think to use it, and some might be going so fast they might not even see it.
Either way, if you really are against using it for news, it would still be a more convenient way to welcome users to the site. A simple, "Welcome to Ekunia!" and a short, sweet, and to the point intro to the site can go a long way to not only making new users more comfortable, but getting better reviews.
05-22-2012, 04:42 PM,
They're underneath the area of the product.

I might make a welcome box on the new Ekunia site.
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM,
I guessed as much, but still. It's not a half bad idea.
05-22-2012, 04:56 PM,
A news reel would be nice, yes.
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM,
I took a quick look around the MyBB addons site, and I found a few that you could possibly use and/or base your own addon off of. I say base your own addon off of because I don't believe that any of these are reels. From the looks of it, they're just stationary, boring headers.
05-22-2012, 06:47 PM,
Where'd you look? I can't find any with "Welcome box." I can find a couple with news reel, though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »