Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Apple Patent Win: Good for Apple, Bad for Samsung, Lousy for Consumers
08-28-2012, 12:36 AM,
Apple Patent Win: Good for Apple, Bad for Samsung, Lousy for Consumers
The jury in the Apple-Samsung patent infringement case concluded Friday that Samsung should pay Apple $1 billion in damages for ripping off features of Apple's iPhone.

This ruling is good for Apple (AAPL), bad for Samsung and other Apple competitors, and terrible for consumers, as Aaron and I discuss in the accompanying video.

The monetary damages here, though large, are almost irrelevant. Apple already has more than $100 billion of cash, and Samsung will barely miss $1 billion. And that's assuming the ruling stands up on appeal, which some legal experts think is unlikely.

More important is the precedent that this case sets, which is that gadget companies can successfully bring and win cases based on what might be described as "feature patents." One of the claims Apple made, for example, was that Samsung had infringed on an Apple patent that covered a "rectangular" phone. Given that all smartphones are rectangular, this patent and others like it could have a far-reaching impact.

Apple's success here may also cause Samsung and other competitors to think twice before incorporating basic features that people like about iPhones. And that could lead to competitive products being distinctly worse. Although Apple shareholders might like this, the precedent could hurt consumer choice.
Add Thank You Reply
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM,
RE: Apple Patent Win: Good for Apple, Bad for Samsung, Lousy for Consumers
Samsung should shut down the iPad factories that they own and Apple uses in response.

Apple needs an anti-monopoly suit for being a big company with crap products.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM,
Bull. "Oh we're going to sue you because your phone is rectangular." That is the worst excuse I've heard for...well anything really. That's borderline stealing.
08-28-2012, 12:53 AM,
Apple has also patented things that were depatented by other companies for lack of significance.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
08-28-2012, 12:57 AM,
Not surprised
THIS IS WHY APPLE SUCKS
PC master race
08-28-2012, 12:57 AM,
How can you patent a shape
08-28-2012, 12:58 AM,
Apple removed filesystem directories (You know, those things that organize files.) from OSX Mountain Lion.

However, they have not applied this to the source code, as it seems.
08-28-2012, 12:58 AM,
(08-28-2012, 12:57 AM)Zach Wrote: How can you patent a shape
I agree 100%.
08-28-2012, 01:03 AM,
I recently got a Galaxy S3 and it is 100% better than the iPhone. Ton of more freedom better features and everything
08-28-2012, 01:04 AM,
Yeah, plus the OS is mostly open source, albeit not open source enough for rms, but who cares about that idiot?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »