Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Abstinence-only sex education
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 03:48 PM by Nuke.)
Abstinence-only sex education
(08-24-2013, 02:30 AM)fantanoice Wrote:
Quote:They're (moral and ethical education programs) outlawed in public school and a legal grey area in privately-run charter schools.
Evidence plz.
It's something my teacher told me. Pretty common knowledge here. It can be taught if you don't make any justification whatsoever for it. If you said "Thou shalt not kill.", it would have to be a historic perspective on the Bible, for instance. You can also teach about how the US isn't or shouldn't be Christian.

(08-24-2013, 02:30 AM)fantanoice Wrote:
Quote:For instance, "abstinence-only sex education" couldn't say that cheating is wrong. It couldn't do anything except talk about STDs and pregnancy. For this reason, it was deemed ineffective (despite being more effective than the alternative of teaching contraception use even despite the restrictions) and the program was cancelled in the US.
Evidence plz.
"It did not take a moralistic tone, as many abstinence programs do. Most notably, the sessions encouraged children to delay sex until they are ready, not necessarily until married; did not portray sex outside marriage (as in, when married, if I'm correct, but possibly referring to premarital sex or fornication) as never appropriate; and did not disparage condoms."
"Over the next two years, about 33 percent of the students who went through the abstinence program started having sex, compared with about 52 percent who were taught only safe sex. About 42 percent of the students who went through the comprehensive program started having sex, and about 47 percent of those who learned about other ways to be healthy did. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...02628.html

--This was copypasted from my post on another forum. It is not a topic split from another on Ekunia. Haha.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
Add Thank You Reply
08-25-2013, 03:31 AM,
RE: Abstinence-only sex education
I find that Abstinence is weak against young teen hormones.
08-25-2013, 04:45 AM,
RE: Abstinence-only sex education
It's apparently 40% effective with large room for improvement.

I'd say that if it weren't for the fact that they had other tests and such, the effectiveness rate would be over doubled, especially over a long period of time.

We see this indicated by the fact that the installment of immorality in school (removal of religion etc.) has a direct correlation to crime, which doubled year-after-year until it reached very high levels.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »