Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Should Nazi properties receive renovation?
09-04-2013, 12:09 AM,
Should Nazi properties receive renovation?
http://gizmodo.com/should-germany-spend-...1245820655

I'm honestly pretty surprised that they're still around to receive repairs.

BRB Raising the Flag over the Reichstag.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
Add Thank You Reply
09-04-2013, 03:34 AM,
RE: Should Nazi properties receive renovation?
I say fake a accident and let it by mistake blow it up.
09-04-2013, 04:55 AM,
So you pull a thing like Hitler did on the Reichstag to pull the wool over people's eyes?
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
09-05-2013, 02:33 AM,
It would be fitting.
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM,
They should be restored and there is a very good reason for them to be restored. They are monuments to the sufferings of the people at the hands of Hitler and the Nazi party. Destroying them now would be destroying part of Germany's history; albeit not a shining moment in their history. The point is we have to remember that these things happened and ensure that they never happen again. You can't simply sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened. You need to educate the future generations about history to let humanity learn from humanities mistakes.
09-05-2013, 04:17 PM,
(09-05-2013, 02:33 AM)Demon_skeith Wrote: It would be fitting.
I must say that I lol'd.
(09-05-2013, 01:08 PM)SYKO Wrote: They should be restored and there is a very good reason for them to be restored. They are monuments to the sufferings of the people at the hands of Hitler and the Nazi party. Destroying them now would be destroying part of Germany's history; albeit not a shining moment in their history. The point is we have to remember that these things happened and ensure that they never happen again. You can't simply sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened. You need to educate the future generations about history to let humanity learn from humanities mistakes.
Of course, this is a valid argument. But wouldn't it be better to unban the ideology, since the bans (as I've seen based on some people I've met in countries where its discussion is banned) actually end up having an adverse effect and inadvertently make people believe Hitler wasn't bad?

Also, I'll just tell you about the "banned ideology" thing so we don't have to have a whole discussion within a discussion about it:

In some countries, Nazism - as a belief - is banned. This means that some people in certain countries where it is banned will only know about the Allied Invasion of Germany and such. Place emphasis on "Allied". These people don't know that Hitler was bad. They just know that there was a war effort against the Axis, but they don't know why there was such an effort.

Overall, both sides sound pretty good but it really depends on the cost of maintenance.
09-06-2013, 08:38 AM,
Just because the IDEOLOGY is banned doesn't mean the HISTORY OF WWII is banned. WWII was the most major conflict humanity has engaged in at this point and you're implying that people don't educate people about what happened and why. The fact that Hitler was bad is one of the most basic facts about WWII. And everything Hitler did, he did because he thought it would be good for Germany. Hitler was EXACTLY the sort of leader they needed after WWI and the Treaty of Versailles. He managed to reduce war reparations, stabilize the economy and make Germany relevant as something other than warmongers. Hitler was also an EXTREMELY popular person before the war, being on the cover of Times magazine. Yes, he did use all of the power he gathered to attempt to control the world, but he did what he thought was best for the sake of Germany.
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM,
Nazism is intrinsically a part of WWII, since Nazism and related ideologies were the cause.

Also, he didn't pay war reparations and disobeyed the Treaty of Versailles a lot. That's how the economy became stable, at least to some extent.
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM,
The war reparations were extremely harsh; costing and estimated 132 billion Deutschmarks in 1921, equivalent to $442 billion US today. Germany suffered from massive post war inflation, to the point where you needed literally hundreds of thousands of marks just to buy a loaf of bread. A lot of German territory was given to other countries and the military was extremely restricted. This, naturally, made the German citizens very bitter towards the Allied forces. Hitler became, in a sense, a hero of the common man of Germany, restoring some semblance of order and strength the the defeated country. Yes, he did violate the treaty on numerous occasions, most drastically when invading Poland, but one of these breaches WAS SUPPORTED BY FRANCE AND BRITAIN, IE. TWO OF THE COUNTRIES THAT SIGNED THE TREATY. The fact of the matter is, Hitler was EXACTLY the person Germany needed at that point in time and if he hadn't started the largest war the planet has ever seen that resulted in the deaths of around 25 million people he would potentially be regarded as one of the greatest figures in German history for a very different reason to why we remember him today.
09-06-2013, 03:18 PM,
There's no doubt about the excess of the reparations. They took until 2011 or so to be repaid, although Germany probably would have repaid them earlier if not for a period of not paying them at all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »