Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
New symbol for the Russian Ruble!
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM,
New symbol for the Russian Ruble!
http://rt.com/business/ruble-has-its-own-sign-038/

Now, for the first time in the history of Russia and the Ruble, the Russian Ruble has a currency sign! (although it seems that a symbol existed for awhile in the Imperial era) Gone are the days of the code "RUB" alone signifying it! It is the Cyrillic letter P -- which is the sound of "R" in the Latin alphabet -- with a line going through the vertical part of the P and a line through it underneath where the normal line would go in the letter. Picture:

[Image: 200px-Rouble_official_sign.svg.png]

Of course, nothing in Russia is without controversy!

The ancient version of the Christian Chi Rho apparently looks similar to the new symbol! Heresy, some say!

[Image: r1oub.jpg]

(The new Ruble symbol on the left of course; the ancient Chi Rho in the middle; the modern Chi Rho on the right)

What do you think about all this? I personally love the new currency symbol, and gladly accept it being similar to an ancient symbol of Christ, regardless of if it's intentional.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
Add Thank You Reply
12-15-2013, 05:47 PM,
RE: New symbol for the Russian Ruble!
Ruble is Ruble not christian stuff
12-19-2013, 01:24 PM,
I think the symbol actually looks great. From the idea it is pretty much the same as for example Pound, Yen or Euro. £ (coming from 'libra') has a horicontal line through it, ¥ is a Latin 'Y' with two horicontal lines, and the € looks either like a C and = combination or like an round E with two middle lines instead of one. I'm pretty sure there are other currency symbols following the same design idea.

I think those =-like lines all stand for stability of some kind and you can see the same in the Ruble symbol. The longer stroke of the P curve (and the P obviously stands for p in рубль rubel) and the additional line underneath make it look like an =.
So, it is a good idea and a symbol one can remember.

The people starting a controversy about it looking similar to the Chi Roh are probaly just people how love to argue and to nag on everything. P is the same letter in Greek and Russian; it was adapted in the Cyrillic alphabet. So, what about it? I see where people might see the similarities, but the P changes in the Ruble symbol look more like an = than a cross as in the Chi Roh symbol. Might be that the people designing this made the 'similarity' intentional, but seriously. It is a good symbol for the Ruble and it fits to the design of other currencies.
12-19-2013, 02:32 PM,
Yeah, Sylveranty; you've got it right.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »