Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
08-31-2014, 11:48 PM,
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
LoGH is, for most of its fans at least, the most glorious animoo of all time, and it was never broadcast, unlike those third-rate TV animoo (reference to S4). It was released as novels (not light novels) from 1982 to 1987 and as a mega-OVA with a film and 110 episodes from 1988 to 1997.

LoGH is essentially a historical portrayal of the future. It's not exactly a new concept, although it's mostly used for alternative histories, but it's done wonderfully. The core focus of the plot is a era of fantastic change to the history of the human species in the late 36th century (late 3500s AD in the Gregorian calendar), beginning one hundred and fifty years into a war between the Free Planets Alliance (based on the United States) and the Galactic Empire (based on Imperial Prussia/Germany) when the Admiral Reinhard von Musel (whose surname changes to Lohengramm early in the show) assumes command of his first fleet of the Galactic Empire, as portrayed in the movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. The story also follows Yang Wen-li -- "Hero of El Facil" -- of the Free Planets Alliance, who is an adjutant to the FPA commander during Reinhard's first battle.

There is also a third force in the galaxy, Phezzan, which despite translation errors in the English fansub is actually not an autonomous territory of the Galactic Empire but a Swiss-type country juxtaposed between the Galactic Empire and FPA. It starts as a manipulator that continues the war for profit, but later evolves into a much more filling role.

The series is also known for the fact that it mostly revolves around military figures who are almost all ranked admiral, although Yang and Attenborough are at one point not so high-ranking.

Useful sidenote: You'll have a lot of characters (mostly irrelevant-looking to start) that are insignificant unless you want to watch Side Stories or something, which few really do, anyway. You can mostly notice them right off the bat, though. Most notably, in season one, they show the troops a lot more than they do later in the show -- It's to reveal how Reinhard is more caring than many of the other officers.
Add Thank You Reply
09-01-2014, 09:43 PM,
RE: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CNBZj36...52YAiIvSX5

I'd like to just post this link to the series. I thought that it was the early 3600s AD, but I guess I accidentally adjusted the Julian calendar for that, since I don't think they ever mentioned the Gregorian in the OVA.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
09-02-2014, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM by Yamato Sutaga.)
RE: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Thanks for posting the link for me, and yeah, calendars are a bit of an odd thing, but I guess we only use the Georgian calendar today due to the lack of a unified calendar-making body, like the Galactic Republic.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »