Thread Rating:
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
User Experience (UX) Guidelines Redo Topic
04-03-2015, 07:22 PM,
User Experience (UX) Guidelines Redo Topic
Since EF is indefinitely suspended from development, the UX Guidelines (former "Design Guidelines") will need to be redone. This time, it will be done differently. More specifically, the realism aspect will be more skeuomorphic while the previous DG primarily used more abstract patterns like Material Design. (By the end, I was considering just replacing it entirely, but forums don't go well with Mat. Des. in my opinion.)

These guidelines will be standardized by a reference implementation, akin to Twitter Bootstrap. I'll name it Rux (pronounced like the Cyrillic Рукс, transliterated Ruks [roo-ks]) or something like that, and open-source it under the ISC license.

Let's move on. There's going to be some other changes in attitude for this since the last one didn't really work well to me. To start, it was too generic: It attempted to handle all device types while simultaneously trying to be optimized for forums, apps, and games. This time, it will be optimized for desktop forums only; there is a strong possibility that other device types will simply use whatever is native for the default mobile theme -- at least until we feel ready to expand it to phones. It will expand from forums into other areas (such as apps and games) organically as use cases expand and the guidelines evolve.

These new guidelines will use a semantic version scheme. Ekunia may also opt for a modified model for the sake of experimentation; this will likely be done via a tiered support hierarchy, e.g. "experimental", "unstable", "stable", "deprecated". This will help to organize the strategic aspects of design development, so it'll be more well-tested when it is expanded over more use cases.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
Blogging on a Forum Everyday
Add Thank You Reply
04-06-2015, 12:50 PM,
RE: User Experience (UX) Guidelines Redo Topic
You do realise throwing a bunch of buzzwords into what vaguely resembles a sentence doesn't actually make you look smart. It just makes you look like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're doing.
04-06-2015, 03:26 PM,
Whenever I see a buzzword I just skip over it and continue on with the sentence.

Haven't read one of Nuke's posts in six years.
04-07-2015, 08:20 PM,
(04-06-2015, 12:50 PM)SYKO Wrote: You do realise throwing a bunch of buzzwords into what vaguely resembles a sentence doesn't actually make you look smart. It just makes you look like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're doing.
I know that. I also know that you have a buzzword in your post.
If you like my posts, the best way to show your appreciation is to post on Ekunia.
04-07-2015, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015, 09:39 PM by Nuke.)
(04-06-2015, 03:26 PM)Peregrine Wrote: Whenever I see a buzzword I just skip over it and continue on with the sentence.

Haven't read one of Nuke's posts in six years.
Thank you, Pere. As ye seemingly shan't be able read my jargon that is apparently ungoogleable to the naked eye of one who is a non-beholder to the mystic concise jargon of Ekunia's CEO and forum admin Nuke Rusich, I'll give a summary of what you people might not understand. I was intending for people who actually knew these words to contribute to this topic, but eh, who cares?

Reference implementation, akin to Twitter Bootstrap == a kit to make themes and such. Twitter Bootstrap is a pretty famous one. Maybe its website should give you a clue as to how it looks?
Organizing the strategic aspects of design development == doing things in a structured, orderly, planned-out manner with proper time and spacing between accomplishing things rather than rushing in full Stalin's Republics WWII style not one step back and doing everyone all at once with massive damages to the goal along the way that require Eastern Europe to be rebuilt later.

Final remark: This topic isn't meant to actually contain any information about the UX guide, it's just a light informational about the process for people to respond with suggestions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »